Friday, September 9, 2016

Fresh and Newborn

My newborn laughs in his sleep. It's a rare and surprising occurrence: his little voice suddenly cuts through the dark like a bright, twinkling star. Then, I can't help but laugh myself. His laughter is one of the most beautiful sounds in the world.

But my baby has a hernia on his right side, and when his intestines are in a kink he literally screams for relief. His cries pierce my heart, and there is little I wouldn't try to do to take away his pain forever.

No one (except the demented) looks at a baby and wishes pain upon him. We don't hope a sad and lonely future for him; we don't picture him someday becoming an alcoholic, a divorcĂ©, or a soldier suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder. 

No, there is something special about newborns. Whenever I go out with the baby, people melt and gush at the sight of the little person. This is because when we hold a newborn, we feel like we are stepping back into the Garden of Eden, where everything was fresh, new, untainted, and beautiful. Our relationships were whole and strong. All we knew was hope and love. We looked into the future and we saw only goodness. 

I understand now how my Father in heaven feels. He looks upon his Creation like I look at my baby. He wishes for us a future full of joy and goodness and days filled with laughter. So He did the most difficult act. To take away our pain. To renew our hope and love. And to make us like newborn babies again.

No comments:

Post a Comment