Monday, November 14, 2016

Thankful All Year Round

Leaves are covering our lawn and our Thankful Tree is up. It's the season of the harvest, the time of year when Americans celebrate the holiday of Thanksgiving.

Though Thanksgiving has become mostly a holiday of feasting, football, and mega-sales, I am still grateful for this day because it reminds me to take the time to give thanks to God for everything I have. Sometimes I am so caught up in the busyness of everyday living that I forget to be thankful, and then I find myself growing more and more grumpy and whiny.

I wish my house was newer!
Why can't my children give me five minutes of peace?!
My husband forgot that… again!

It is so easy to slip into that mode of thinking when I am focusing on myself rather than the Giver, forgetting that the people and things in my life are gifts of kindness from God's gracious hands. I don't deserve any of it. And even if I did, I certainly do not deserve it in abundance. Yet God chooses to give me more: seven children, a wonderful kind husband, a home, new life and purpose through His Son.


Everyday is a gift, and every moment a token of God's mercy upon me. I want to practice being thankful all year round,  and never again be envio
us or discontent.



Let us come into His presence with thanksgiving; 
let us make a joyful noise to Him with songs of praise! 
~Psalm 95:2

*The Thankful Tree is something my family does every year. The children and I (or anyone who comes to our home) write something for which we are thankful for on a leaf. Then the leaf is moved from the ground to a branch. "It's like fall in reverse!" said one of my kids. The poster stays up for weeks  to encourage the children to keep thinking about being thankful. I love seeing a new leaf pop back onto the tree and reading what people write!


No comments:

Post a Comment