Thursday, December 1, 2016

Good Medicine

My neighbor was recently hospitalized for pneumonia. When she came home, she was slower and weaker than before and had trouble walking and lifting things.

I started going over everyday to do little things for her: bring her homemade cornbread, take out her garbage, fix her toilet seat cover. I usually went alone, but on Sunday I brought my baby with me. He was in a cheery mood and I knew that I could just lay him on a bed while I do a few things.

At the door, my neighbor was surprised and delighted to see the baby! While I took out the garbage, I left the baby on the bed so he and my neighbor could have an exchange of smiles and conversation. And when it was time to leave, my baby kept talking all the way to the door. It was such a sweet moment.

Later, I told my husband about our little visit. My husband gave the baby a squeeze and said, "Good medicine. He is good medicine."

So parents, don't think that having children means you have to give up serving. Children are great conversation starters! Take your children to visit the elderly, take them to the store, take them to church, take them anywhere where there are people who are lonely. Ignore the popular opinion that children are a nuisance. They are good medicine– a blessing, a joy, a gift from God.

No comments:

Post a Comment