Sunday, December 4, 2016

The Great Mystery

One of the greatest perks of having a new baby is that the mystery of Christmas becomes almost tangible.

On the day after Thanksgiving, after chopping down our Christmas tree at a tree farm in the mountains, I was riding in the van next to the baby when one of my favorite Christmas songs came on. As Joy Williams sang the words "It's still a mystery to me that the hands of God could be so small," I looked down at my own baby's hands. He was holding my fingers, playing with me and delighting in his new skill of grasping. 

God?! As a baby?!

It struck me with the force of an ocean's wave. I started to cry just at the thought.

Because God being born as a human is like stuffing the universe into a jar. How did He do it? That's the great mystery.

I feel almost blasphemous saying that God was once a squirmy, giggly, chubby baby who slept in his mother's arms, except that it was true. Why did He do it? Another great mystery.

It overwhelms me. And every time I look at my baby I ponder on it afresh.

I've included a Youtube video of Joy Williams singing 'Here With Us' so that you too can listen to the lyrics and ponder on Christmas. (Alert- The video includes some beautiful footage from the movie 'The Nativity Story', but it ends with scenes from 'Jesus of Nazareth' showing Jesus being crucified. It's a great juxtaposition, but for some like myself, the crucifixion is difficult to watch. If that is your case, you can watch the video just until the last of the three magi give their gifts.)



No comments:

Post a Comment