Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Front Porch Hospitality

Your doorbell rings and you peek outside to see a stranger on your front step. What do you do?

A) Tell the kids to hush and pretend you're not home
B) Open the door, yell "I don't want any!", then slam the door
C) Open the door, point emphatically to the 'No Solicitors' sign, then slam the door
D) Listen politely to the person's rehearsed speech (at least part of it), then politely send him on his way

I'll be the first to confess, I've done A) once or twice. I had a really nasty experience with a vacuum cleaner salesperson once. But usually I do D), which is the obvious right choice, no matter how much it may make me tense up.

The thing is, whether they are Mormons, solar panel salesmen, or pest exterminators, they are still people. And even though they are mere strangers to me and may never enter my home, I can still extend hospitality to them.

Take yesterday, for example. My doorbell rang around 7:30pm. I wasn't expecting anyone. Outside my door was a young man asking for donations. My husband and I chatted with him for several minutes and by the end of our time together, we knew the young man's name, a few things about him, and the fact that he's been doing this all day long. So I send him off with a bottle of water and a baggie full of homemade cookies. 

It's that easy.

We know that the Bible is full of examples of hospitality. However, when we think about hospitality, we oftentimes ask, "Who can I invite over for dinner?" or "How can I make my home more warm and inviting?" or "What's on the menu?" We are not thinking about the stranger who passes not through our front door, but by our front door. 

But take a look at God's commands to the Israelites in Deuteronomy. He tells them to give a portion of their harvest to "the sojourner, the fatherless, and the widow, who are within your towns" (see Deut. 14:28-29). He also says to leave food in the fields for these people (Deut. 24-19-22) and to allow them to celebrate with the Israelites (Deut. 16:10-14). Although these people may be strangers from a foreign land (and not followers of Yahweh), they are still to be welcomed and receive a portion of God's bounty!

So, here are some ideas for how you can extend your hospitality beyond your front door!

- Offer a cup of water to a door-to-door solicitor

- Put snacks (chips, granola bars, trail mix) or drinks (soda, juice, water) in a box by your front door, with a sign for the post carrier or package delivery person to help themselves. This is especially appreciated during the busy Christmas season. (idea courtesy of Luke and Elise Greenaway)

- Pass out flyers to your neighbors and host an ice-cream social on your driveway. Tell your neighbors to bring an ice cream topping of their choice to share. (I was invited to one of these, hosted by Jeff and Cristin Dersham!) 

- If you have a fruit tree in your front yard, put up a sign giving permission for passers-by to pick one or two. Or if you have an abundant harvest of fruit (lemons!) from your backyard, put some out on your sidewalk to share.

- At Halloween, set up a table with cookies, hot chocolate and coffee. Put out chairs so trick-or-treaters can rest for a bit. (I saw this at a house once. It was an oasis in the dark!)

Just remember, that though we may not be cultivating a deep friendship with the stranger at our door, we can still extend Christ's love to him!

And you shall rejoice in all the good that the LORD your God has given to you and to your house, you, and the Levite, and the sojourner who is among you. ~Deuteronomy 26:11 ESV

(And if you have ideas to share, please do!)

No comments:

Post a Comment