Tuesday, February 22, 2011

I am Shakable, He is Not

I recently received a message from Ben, friend and mentor. He wrote, "I read each of your blog entries and am inspired by your dream and your vulnerability."

I had to respond, because one of the things I've learned in recent years (from people like Ben) is that I must be humble and vulnerable with others if God is to work through me. How many people go through life thinking that they are alone in their problems? How many of us, Christians especially, have this subconscious belief that we have to look perfect to the world? And how much more will people be loved and cared for if we shared our burdens with each other?

A week ago, my friends William and Larisa and their children visited our home. They are a missionary family, traveling the world with their six children, witnessing mainly to Muslims in Jordan and Tunisia. It was a Sunday when they visited, and they were scheduled to depart on Tuesday for England. While we chatted, William had to take an urgent phone call. Larisa was  excited and awe-struck when she heard what the phone call was about: someone, a complete stranger, offered to house the entire family while they were in England!

This is nothing new for the Hernandez family; time and time again God had led them to the right people and the right place and provided everything they needed at the exact moment they needed it. Wherever they have traveled, they have never been without a bed, food, or friends. In my mind, they are great examples of how a Christian should live: in deep and complete trust of God. 

So I was a little surprised when Larisa shared something with me. She said, "It's Sunday afternoon, we're leaving on Tuesday, and we just got a place to stay. I admit that I was getting nervous."

Nervous?! Larisa?! When she had witnessed miracles equal to the parting of the Red Sea and the manna in the desert?!

She continued, "But every time, God has provided for us. He has never let us down. Sometimes it was at the last minute, but He always provided."

For me, that visit was a double blessing: good time with friends, and the reminder that we are all on this journey of faith. I can be vulnerable with you, because then we remember how, in contrast, our Foundation is unshakable... He never lets us down.

No comments:

Post a Comment