Sunday, May 8, 2011

A Good Reminder

I'm at week 16 of my pregnancy today. My wardrobe is now limited to a few pants, shirts, and flowing dresses. My legs are wrapped because the veins started bulging and aching weeks ago. The other night, my dinner wouldn't stay down, and I spent the night curled up in a ball.

But I heard news of my friend's sister-in-law, who found out in an ultrasound that her pregnancy was abnormal. The baby's organs are not developing properly, and their only choice is to wait for a miscarriage, or abort for the mom's own good.

This was so sad to hear.

And I hear from another friend, who had miscarried several months back, then became pregnant again. In her e-mail, she writes, "I'm so BIG!" You can hear the joy in her voice.

This was a good reminder.

The nausea, the varicose veins, the round belly, are all blessings, because of the blessing they are connected with. Similarly, my five children, my husband, my home, my health, are all blessings because of the ultimate Blessing that they are connected with. Which means that even illness, sadness, and tragedy are blessings. Hmm... something to chew on.

I woke this morning to whispering and giggling in the kitchen, punctuated by pots and pans clanging and my youngest squealing for attention. What a lovely Mother's Day I had, with breakfast in bed and doting servers. It's easy to be grateful on days like today, or Thanksgiving, or birthdays, but I want to make a practice of being grateful in every situation. When I am at the end of my rope with my disobedient toddler, I want to be grateful. When I am cleaning up after my husband, I want to remember the blessing. When I'm washing dishes, taking out the garbage, or pulling weeds, I want to be thankful for a home, and for my family that makes it a home.

Happy Mother's Day to you if you're a mother, and don't forget your blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment