Friday, May 6, 2011

How to be a Super (Role) Model

Every now and then, you hear an athlete or pop star say something along the lines of, "But I never asked to be a role model." What the celebrities don't always understand is that everyone is a role model (unless you're a hermit, but then, I guess you might be a role model to other hermits on how to be a good hermit). No one chooses to be a role model, but everyone can choose to be either a good role model or a bad one.

My children know that they are role models. As soon as they are old enough to understand, we teach them that they are role models to their younger siblings. And as they grow, we remind them of their constant responsibility, by praising good role modeling, or gently pointing out bad role modeling. From there, we build. By the time they are seven or eight, my children know that they are role models for their peers, and sometimes, even for adults.

(In a similar vein, but completely unrelated, we teach our children about good and bad consequences. Their actions will always lead to a consequence, but their choice of action will determine what kind of consequence they will receive. We learned this from my husband's cousin Lois and her husband Mark. Amazing people.)

I was reminded the other day that I too am a role model. Not that I forget this, because a great portion of my job as mom is to be a good role model, but oftentimes, I am not conscious of the fact that I'm a role model for other people. I am so focused on loving and training my children, that I am unaware of observing eyes. So the reminder was good, and that the reminder was a positive one was even better.

Now you may think, after reading the title, that I'm going to write, "So, if you want to be a great role model, do what I do." If I wrote that, I wouldn't be a great role model at all! The secret to being a super role model is to keep your eyes focused on God. He gave us two commandments- love God, and love your neighbor. I have found that when I am striving to obey God, I don't care about what other people think, nor do I worry about doing the wrong thing in front of observing eyes.

When young single people come over, I want them to enter a home of peace, compassion, and laughter. I want them to see that young children are not crazy, out-of-control monsters, and that 'having a family' doesn't equate 'giving up your life.' When we invite couples over for dinner, I want them to witness a sacrificial kind of love on my part towards my husband. I want them to hear kind words of respect, not bickering tones of underlying resentment. Not that our home is always like this, but I will strive for a family that loves God, and loves our neighbors.

I know if you were hoping for a practical list of ten-things-to-do, you are disappointed. But  this is a matter of the heart, and I can't sum that up in a list. Pray that God will show you what changes you need to make in your life, and pray that He reminds that you are always a role model!

No comments:

Post a Comment