Saturday, July 23, 2011

The Beautiful

The beautiful is always worth working towards.

One of my most memorable moments from our recent trip to Washington was sitting on the back deck of our friend's house with my husband, the kids all settled into various trundle beds and guest rooms after a busy day of helping set-up for the wedding, watching the clouds roll in (and praying that it doesn't rain on the wedding!) and laughing at the fat baby swallow enjoying the room service its parents provided. I was jotting down a few thoughts while my husband sketched me. Enjoying the beauty of the farm, the mountains, and our friends' warm hospitality was effortless. But my husband shared a good thought: we enjoy it now because of someone else's work before. The house was built, the farm was maintained, the home decorated in such an inviting manner... none of which happened by itself. And the end result is beautiful. Through that beauty, we felt God's grace and love, and we were touched by the hand of God.

God gave us beauty; God IS beauty. I want to write, make music, paint, cook, teach my children, love my husband, have probing conversations, all for the end goal of 'the beautiful'. It takes work, but I want people to effortlessly enjoy the beauty I add to the world. Then maybe they too will be touched by the hand of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment