Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Celebrating Christ, not Christmas

As my husband and I are preparing to lead worship on Christmas Eve, we are encountering a rather common malady: putting Christmas above Christ. Because when a person insists on singing only Christmas carols, or demands that we must light candles, or stresses about putting lights up, baking at least five kinds of cookies, following this tradition or that tradition, then that person has made an idol of Christmas.

I agree that Christmas is a beautiful holiday, and the songs, the candles, the lights and traditions, all of those things are lovely, but we cannot allow those things to change how we should live daily. Christ calls us to Love the Lord your God, and love your neighbor as yourself. And if we are arguing about how things "need" to be done at Christmas, then we are not obeying His command.

In all you do (or don't do) this Christmas holiday, remember: Celebrate Christ!

2 comments:

  1. It is great how you took your stand for Christ. I did think last few weeks about our tradition on Christmas. Here all is about presents under the tree and Santa. So I decided that we will have our tradition with Christ in center of it. I did steal some of your suggestions. We are doing game of Christ names from John. And will make cake for Jesus, but kids will make it not me.Few days before Christmas we will read from each book about His birth. I wont to leave my children a heritage that Christmas is the day we celebrate the coming of Emanuel, of His love. And that that day is not abut shopping, presents, food or decorations. It does make me sad when I see that so many people don't see Christ love for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many countries, like China and Japan, have adopted Christmas traditions without any of the meaning behind them. I am glad to see that you are setting a tone in your own home to focus on Jesus, not the gifts and food. Your friends and neighbors will surely notice!

    ReplyDelete