Monday, December 26, 2011

Post-Christmas Cheer

I discovered today what makes a Christmas song really great.

It had not been a good day. As we backed out of the garage, on our way to my parents' house to celebrate Christmas with them, I noticed something different about our house. It took me a moment to realize what it was: one of the cars was missing. Normally, we have three cars parked on our driveway, because our housemates have two for their commute to work and school. Well, one of their cars was gone.

We quickly called our housemates (who were in Colorado visiting family), hoping that maybe a friend of theirs had borrowed the car, and they had just happened to forget mentioning it to us. No such luck. The trip to my parents' house was cut short, and my husband was on the phone much of the day, talking to the police and our housemates.

From this situation, my husband observed how sin has a ripple affect. Many people's Christmas was ruined this morning. As for me, I was just angry. How could someone do that?! To my friends, of all people?! I hope the thieves are caught! Maybe God can work a miracle! I want Him to get those crooks!

I fumed while I turned the situation over and over in my mind. But a moment came as I sat in my house and looked up at the sun shining in through a skylight. My husband was playing Christmas music in the background, and I heard the words, "O come let us adore Him, O come let us adore Him..." And I stopped, breathed, and worshiped Him despite everything. In the midst of my anger, I had forgotten to pray. I finally released my grip on the uncontrollable and called on God for peace and justice.

Later, as I washed the dinner dishes, I found myself singing the second verse of 'O Holy Night'. Again, the words struck me, "Christ is the Lord..." And I was reminded that He is with us, and He has His hand on us and our housemates. Whatever the reason was for this incident, He is in control.

The great Christmas songs are great because they are true. I can sing them all year round because they are worshipful. Some people are disappointed because another Christmas has come and gone, but I have Christmas cheer that never goes away.

No comments:

Post a Comment