Saturday, December 3, 2011

The Significance of Christmas

"The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me, 
because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. 
He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and 
recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed, 
to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor."
Then he rolled up the scroll, gave it back to the attendant and sat down. 
The eyes of everyone in the synagogue were fastened on him, 
and he began by saying to them, 
"Today this scripture is fulfilled in your hearing."
Luke 4:18-21


As I was trying to clear away the 'extras' that we've piled onto Christmas, I discovered this passage. Two chapters after the birth of Jesus, many years after the angels and shepherds and wise men  have come and gone, when most people had probably forgotten about that night in Bethlehem and see now only a poor homely carpenter from Nazareth, Jesus himself announces the purpose of His coming. The Old Testament passage that Jesus read is from Isaiah 61. It is worth reading this prophecy! Jesus came to bring true joy and healing, joy and healing that can  come only when we are reunited with our Maker.

That was why the angels sang, "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace to men on whom his favor rests," and why we continue to sing those words today.


2 comments:

  1. Hi. I found your blog today and spend quite some time reading it. I belive God blesses us trough different people and you did that for me today. I thank God for you, you faith made me rely happy today. Bless you, Mare, Croatia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Mare! It blesses me just as much to get a note from you in Croatia! I'd love to learn more about my Christian brothers and sisters there!

    ReplyDelete