Thursday, February 2, 2012

Groundhog's Day

Eight years ago today, my father-in-law was admitted into the hospital for open heart surgery.
When he went in for a check-up, the doctor said that it was a miracle that he was still alive. My family got a call saying that he couldn't leave the hospital without a five-way bypass and valve replacement.

My first-born son was five-months-old at the time, so I took him with me to the hospital and waited and prayed in the waiting room with my husband's family. My son of course was not aware that he could grow up without ever knowing his father's father. But thankfully, God had kept my father-in-law alive for months before we were even aware of the problem, and He brought him through the surgery with no complications.

I am so glad that all my children know their grandparents! But today, I am especially grateful for my father-in-law, whose hugs, jokes, games, and teaching make our lives so much fuller.

No comments:

Post a Comment