Monday, February 13, 2012

Valentine's Day

My husband doesn't get me flowers for Valentine's Day, and that's okay. It's not that I'm not a romantic (double negative there, sorry about that); I just define romance differently.

I would rather have a hard working man for 365 days of the year than flowers for 1.
I love a man who takes me dancing... in the kitchen.
I adore a man who thanks me for dinner, even when I cook it for him every night.
And the best is when he makes me laugh. I would rather laugh every day than get flowers.

When I was little, I liked hearing the stories that ended with "...and they lived happily ever after." What I loved, though, was the "ever after." The story I heard was only the beginning. Marriage is day in and day out. What makes marriage work is celebrating each other every day.

(I should also add that my husband and I spent the day helping the church put on a free Valentine's dinner- with childcare!- for couples. The experience was similar to last year's, so I didn't want to repeat myself. You can read about what has become an annual dinner here: A Celebration of Marriage)

No comments:

Post a Comment