Monday, July 23, 2012

Honey and Spice Makes Everything Nice!

I've discovered that I take cooking very personally. Not only am I nourishing the body, I'm nourishing the soul. I'm sure God had that in mind when He created flavors. 

So, good thing I have a husband and five kids to feed! If I was single, I wouldn't be so inspired! Add a few guests, and I really get going. Then I cook up a storm and lay my heart on the table, a combination of a gift, a work of art, and a piece of me on a plate.

My husband and I talk every now and then about one day running a bed-and-breakfast. But it wouldn't be a normal bed-and-breakfast; it would be out of our guest bedroom (which, we hope, will have a balcony for outdoor dining) and it would be open only to people (single or couples) who are in the ministry and need a place to rest and/or meditate and pray. And while we wait for the day we have a home that can accommodate this dream, I collect recipes for delicious and gourmet breakfasts. Below is one that I cooked this morning as a crepe filling. The cookbook it came from recommended it on oatmeal... also yummy!


HONEY-SPICE PEARS

2 tablespoons butter
w tablespoons honey
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
3 medium pears, unpeeled, cored, and cut into eighths (Bosc is recommended, but I used Bartlett too)

Cook butter, honey, ginger and cinnamon in a skillet over med-high heat, stirring to combine.
Add pears to the sauce, cut sides down. Cook 5-10 minutes, flip and cook 5-10 minutes.


(Don't worry, this won't become a cooking blog, but I do love sharing recipes!)

No comments:

Post a Comment