Thursday, August 9, 2012

Lips of Love

Yesterday, I was trying to pack up the family for a trip, which meant gathering the clothes and food, grabbing the suitcases, cleaning, making meals, and still dealing with a stubborn two-year-old and an overly-curious crawler. Later in the evening, I reviewed the day and saw myself as through a video camera. I didn't like what I saw. 

So I gave myself a challenge:

Could I get stuff done without stressing out? Could I be just as efficient without becoming a whirlwind that bulldozes over my family?

I am all too aware of how snappy I get when I feel like I'm suffocating under my to-do list. And I am all too aware that if it was with anyone else other than my children, I would be much more kind.

Why is it so hard for me to speak with love to my children? I could ask my son, "Please help me sweep the floor," or I could yell, "Look at that mess. Clean it up!"

I want to be more relaxed. I want to gather my children as an owl gathers her owlets under her wings. I want to teach my children to work, but with care and joy.

Lord, give me lips of love. So that my children will experience Your love through me.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment