Monday, August 27, 2012

The Return of My Nastiest Customer

The 'ba' is gone. I'm not even sure how the word 'pacifier' ended up as 'ba', but that's what we've been calling it for the past two years.

And now it's gone.

When my son turned three last Saturday, we figured it was time. I even gave him a few extra days, because I'm also in the middle of training the baby to sleep through the night. But my graciousness is lost on the little guy. And he has been expressing himself today with a lot of screaming and not very much sleep.

Oy vey.

But I tell myself, "This is all a part of his training."
And I tell myself, "Remember the potty thing? It's done now!"
And then I tell myself, "Don't beat yourself up. Stay rooted, but be flexible."

One thing I can say is that I haven't lost my patience yet. No yelling, shouting, or screaming from my end this time. But I'm so tired. I go outside to bring in the diapers that have been hanging on the line since morning. The sweet night breeze blows over me; I look up at the Big and Little Dipper dangling above my neighbor's house. And I know, that though  my child may go through phases, God's promises always stand true.

We continually ask God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all the wisdom and understanding that the Spirit gives, so that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God, being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience. ~Colossians 1:9-11

No comments:

Post a Comment