Monday, August 13, 2012

Paper Cranes

We just got back from a family wedding. As joyous as the occasion was, it was a bittersweet day. The groom, my husband's cousin, couldn't help but miss his mother, who had died a year and a half ago. My mother-in-law, who filled in as advice-giver and dinner-coordinator, longed to see her sister's smile. Grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, the groom's siblings, and I all knew that the day would have been so different if Aunt LeAnn was still with us. My prayer is that this marriage will be the beginning of a new season, full of joy, reconciliation, and healing.

And I didn't think that I would be spending part of the reception in the bathroom, shedding tears with a young lady who was trying to escape an abusive relationship. She told me her story, and showed me the bruises, and I looked her in the eye and said, "You are worth more than this." She had witnessed a beautiful marriage ceremony and had come face to face with the reality that there is something very wrong with her boyfriend's 'love'. My prayer for her is that she finds the strength within herself to break away.

Bittersweet. Life shouldn't have to be this way.

Does anyone ever look into the future and hope for sadness and brokenness?
Does anyone gaze upon the face of a sleeping baby and imagine that one day she will live with a man who will hurt her?

No, of course not. But every day, people look back and wish things had been different. They want to go back to being a baby and they want to see their story take a different turn. And I believe that every person, every child, deserves that chance, the chance to one day look back and say, "My life took a different turn."

I wrote this song a few months ago. If I had the money, I would adopt all the orphaned, hungry, hurting children of the world, hire all my grandmother friends, and just love on these lonely children. 


Paper Cranes

She has a closet full of cranes
Folded paper cranes and wishes
She folds a new one every day
Sits and folds and prays and wishes
To fly away, fly away
She wants to fly away too

He has a dresser full of planes
Folded paper planes and wishes
He folds the planes to hide the pain
Puts on a smile but inside he wishes
To fly away, fly away
He wants to fly away too

And I want to take them away
Take them away from that shadow place
To where their creations play
Creation plays and soars

She hears the whispered tales of lore
Tales of faraway lore and wonders
He hears a voice he cannot ignore
The less he ignores, the more he wonders
She turns the handle of the door
The door holding all her cranes and worries
He sees the paper planes on the floor
Scattered across the floor and worries

And I want to take them away
Take them away from that shadow place
To where their creations play
Creation plays and soars and flies
Teach them to fly too

No comments:

Post a Comment