Monday, September 17, 2012

Why I Write, part 2

After my last post, a friend wrote me a little message saying, "Thank you for your honesty." It was a very encouraging note.

Because after years of NOT being honest with others or myself, I said, "It's time." I had grown up thinking that to be a Christian meant smiling and always looking joyful.  And I thought faith was always knowing what to do, how to do it, and of course, smiling while doing it.

But the world needs to know that this is not true. And Christians who feel like they are alone in their feelings of doubt and uncertainty need to know that they are in good company. Faith is not saying through gritted teeth, "Thy will be done." Faith is not a nice suit or dress that one puts on in the morning and takes off at night. Nor is it a mask. Faith, like courage, is light in the darkness. It is more, not less, present when one is fearful.

And this is why I write, to document my tiny steps of faith, and to encourage others to walk with me, though the road is sometimes hidden, often unpaved, and always narrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment