Sunday, August 25, 2013

We Are the Church

This morning, we had our Sunday service in an outdoor amphitheater at the fairgrounds. We sat on metal benches, worked through technical difficulties, shaded the sun from our eyes, and heard faint strains of a Beatles song coming from a nearby booth.

And it was AWESOME!

It was awesome because our church cared less about superficialities and more about the heart. It wouldn't have mattered where we were, as long as we were together worshipping the same God. Anyone who had come this morning to see classic cars was welcomed to join us for worship. And as one of our pastors talked about the recent mission trip to a Native American reservation in Arizona and described how he baptized new Navajo believers in an empty dumpster, it only affirmed what I already knew to be true: WE are the Church. Our eyes are turned towards heaven, while our hands and feet serve here on earth. We look past nationality, class, and physical appearance, and we would rather spend thousands on shaping the hearts of people, than thousands on a fancy new building, coffee and donuts, and state-of-the-art technology. 

Sometimes I worry about what visitors think when they come to our church building. Sometimes I'm taken in by stained-glass windows and a beautiful sanctuary. I'm glad to be reminded today that when these thoughts enter my mind, that is a sign that my focus is off. Our building may not be impressive, but that is not what matters. Even if it burned down tomorrow, the Church would not quit.

All this may sound like prideful boasting, but I'm just excited that we broke out of our normal routine of "going to church" and instead, were experiencing a Sunday of being the Church in the world. And in the words of Paul, May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world. (Galatians 6:14 NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment