Friday, August 16, 2013

Wet Pockets

For those of you who read my post 'My Strong Son' and found yourself thinking, "That sounds like my child, but I'm having a hard time seeing the silver lining!" here's a little story to encourage you.

Yesterday, my son wanted to dress like his sister, and the closest he could get to that was to find a striped shirt and pants with a draw string. He put on his shirt, but looked everywhere for his blue pants. When he asked me about them, I told him that the pants were on the line.

We went outside to check on the pants, and found that the pockets were still a bit wet. My son said it was okay and took them inside to put them on, but a few minutes later he returned to me and said that the damp pockets were bothering him.

"I can dry them for you," I said, "if you take the pants off for a few minutes."
"No, I don't want to take them off," was his reply.
"But if you don't take them off, how can I dry them?" I argued back. "I can't hang you on the line, and I can't put you in the dryer!"
"I don't want to take them off," he said again.

It was one of our moments of impasse. We both wanted the same end, but could not agree on a way to get there. Why couldn't my son see that my solution was simple and logical?

I chose to leave the subject for the moment, and my son disappeared while I returned to working on the fudge frosting for the birthday cake. A minute later, I looked out through the back door, and saw my son standing outside in the middle of the backyard. If you know my son, you know that he rarely just stands. But there he was, my little hobbit, standing and blinking in the full sun. And I knew right away what he was doing. He had found a solution to drying the pants while wearing them. I couldn't help but laugh.

My son brings enrichment to my life. His ingenuity challenges me, teaches me, and renews my own sense of wonder and creativity. And one day, my son will grow into a man, and through his unique perspective on life, he will make a difference in the world. Though it is not always easy, I am blessed to be a part of that journey, every step of the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment