Sunday, December 29, 2013

Breaking Fast

Some of you know that on January 1st, 2013, I began a twelve-month fast from buying clothes, shoes, jewelry, or make-up for myself. I knew that I had enough of those things, and that I shopped not for need, but for fulfillment. 

I found that as the months passed, it became easier to not think about shopping. Ads quickly went in the recycle bin or junk box of my e-mail. Whenever I looked through my closet and felt like "I have nothing to wear," I dug a little deeper to find a shirt or dress that I hadn't worn in a while, discovering new combinations or jazzing up an old outfit with a different scarf, hat, or jacket. The more I did this, the more time I spent on being creative and focusing on inner beauty, and the less time I spent at the stores or on the Internet, or worrying about impressing people with my outer appearance.

And more importantly, my fast taught me gratefulness at a deeper level. It's all too easy to go out and buy something for yourself when you want it. Instant gratification is now a click away with amazon.com. Consumerism lives down the street from my house at the outlet mall. But when you receive the item as a gift (even if it's not exactly what you wanted), you know it is a blessing because someone else was thinking of you. A pair of gray pants that didn't fit my friend has become a favorite dressy item for me. My sister has given me several of her old dresses and shirts, which I appreciate because she has a wonderful sense of style. My husband bought me a beautiful necklace for my birthday, and I love giving him the credit for it whenever someone compliments me. 

And now the day of breaking fast is approaching. Part of me wants to go out on New Year's Day and hit the sales, and part of me says, "There's no need, no rush… the clothes will still be there." Even after a year, I still don't have a real need for clothes. Two of my favorite pairs of jeans now have holes in the knees, but come spring and summer, I won't mind the air-conditioning. There are several weddings in 2014, but I attended two weddings this past year and had a lovely and suitable outfit for each of them. And when I finally need new pants, I think I'll visit the local thrift store to hunt for some used treasures. Just because 2013 will be over, it doesn't mean I should jump back into my old habits. I want to continue to cultivate my thriftiness, my gratefulness, and my dependency on God.

"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning…" (Lamentations 3:22-23)"

There is never a bad day to make a change in your life. Whatever you feel is keeping you from growing in Christ, choose the new year to conquer that beast forever. And may 2014 be a wonderful year of hope, joy, and peace for you!


To read more about my year's journey, read my post from July 1st, My Twelve-Month Fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment