Friday, December 6, 2013

Family Portrait (take 2)

Sometimes the cynic in me comes out. After posting 'Family Portrait' yesterday, I realized that in trying to sound humorous, I sound more like a bitter old woman. I've revised the post, and I hope it encourages you!

~~~~~~~


We have a photo session scheduled for the 14th. I am dreading the day. (Call me a wimp, but I have never had a good family photo session.)

Because not only do I have to get myself ready (will my hair choose to cooperate that day?), I have to get five other people ready (at least my husband can take care of himself). 

And I need to find clothes that coordinate at least a little, without going out and buying matching shirts in sizes toddler to large adult.

Then we have to sit still in front of a camera and all smile at the same time, which is a miracle close to the parting of the Red Sea.

After an hour-long session last year, the result was a Christmas family portrait in which my oldest is scowling like the Grinch and my youngest is front and center throwing a fake snowball at the camera. 

Well, at least it's authentic, I thought. We'll see how it goes this year.

Family portraits remind me of Christmas newsletters. Most describe the year's accomplishments and highlights, a glimpse of the best side of us. I've never felt the need to write a Christmas newsletter, but if I wrote one this year, it might sound something like this: 

2013 has been pretty even-keeled for the Bairds, except for the various epidemics that went through the family. Fortunately, we all survived! Dad started his second year at the church. He continues to love his job, but somedays he comes home feeling burdened. Mom keeps up with the homeschooling and housekeeping, trying to make it all work with a spunky and independent two-year-old in the mix. And who can believe that our oldest turned ten this year! He is a wonderful big brother, though he shows signs of his growing need for independence by making biting remarks to his younger siblings (without always realizing it). All three girls are now sharing a room. This makes for fun and creative play... and a few fights. We're still working on potty-training the youngest, and our four-year-old throws less tantrums now, but he resists naps and likes to blame his little sister to cover his tracks. Nevertheless, we are blessed. We know that all good things come from God above-- our home, our job, our health, and our wonderful family and friends. We pray for you, and hope you pray for us too! Merry Christmas!

So, this is my family. Our hair sticks up, our clothes don't match, and we don't always wake up on the right side of the bed, but if you look closely, you'll see Christ in the center of the picture. And I admit, I prefer this kind of family portrait to one that looks polished and perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment