Saturday, July 5, 2014

Making Beautiful Music

In light of my wedding anniversary being in the month of July, I've decided to devote this month's posts to the subject of marriage, this being the second…


I was listening to a CD of the first performance my husband and I ever did together. This was before we were dating, before we were even on each other's radar as potential spouses! and it was interesting for me to compare our musicianship at that time to what it has become now.

The music wasn't bad, but I was still very timid about my playing, so timid that I was barely audible on the recording. Then when I started singing, my voice did not always blend with my not-yet-husband's, and there were times when I didn't follow his lead. We were essentially singing together, but not together, if that makes sense. We weren't in sync (and I don't mean the 'boy group')-- not complementing each other the way we should have.

Fast forward thirteen years! Both my husband and I have grown tremendously, as musicians, as friends, and as brother and sister in Christ. And I love how music (like gardening) is such a perfect analogy for that growth! Working together towards a common goal, taking turns to let the other shine, being sensitive to listen, follow, and not overpower… if we want our music (and marriage) to be beautiful, we have to be in harmony with each other. It involves a great amount of trust, some sacrifice, and never-ending thoughtfulness, and it also involves each of us contributing our unique talents and personalities to the mix.

So, I want to share with you the lyrics to two of our new songs. These songs will make their grand debut in August, and as excited as I am to share it with people, it was the process of writing them with my husband that has excited me more! This first song, titled 'Tandem Bicycle', was conceived in my head one day as I was driving and saw a couple ride by on a bicycle built for two. And though we've never ridden a tandem bicycle, I knew that success on one involved communication, coordination, and cooperation on the part of both riders (again, another great analogy for marriage!) So I started writing the lyrics, then grabbed my husband, who wrote more lyrics and the melody. I filled in with harmonies and a fun piano part, and voila! Here it is! The first song we've written together in thirteen years!


We go riding out beneath a bluebird sky
Under cotton candy cloud we go racing by
Smiling wide we wave to every single person that we meet
The day stretches out before us and we roll down the street

On our tandem bicycle (bicycle built for two)
Tandem bicycle (up and down, me with you)
Tandem bicycle (four legs in rhythm on a sunny day)
Tandem bicycle (bicycle, we're off and on our way)

Soaring along, we're going strong hair waving in the breeze
What could be better than to share the road together beneath a canopy of trees
Customize with two tires and four pedals under feet
Navigating bumps in the road, I've got your back when you're in the driver's seat

On our tandem bicycle (bicycle built for two)
Tandem bicycle (up and down, me with you)
Tandem bicycle (four legs in rhythm on a sunny day)
Tandem bicycle (bicycle, we're off and on our way)

Daisy, diasy, give me your answer do!
I'm half crazy, all for the love of you!
It won't be a stylish marriage, I can't afford a carriage
But you'll look sweet upon the seat of a tandem bicycle

On our tandem bicycle-- I'll be the pilot (I'll be the navigator)
Tandem bicycle-- I'll steer the horses (I'll ride shot gun)
Tandem bicycle-- I'll sing the melody (I'll harmonize with you)
On our tandem bicycle


(and if you are a bit confused by the 'Daisy, daisy…' part in the middle, it comes from a very old song called 'Bicycle Built for Two')

No comments:

Post a Comment