Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Marriage is a Privilege

My wedding anniversary is approaching! Twelve years! I would never trade those twelve years for any in the world!

With all those exclamation points, you're probably thinking that I'm some kind of crazy fanatic about marriage. Or a wide-eyed innocent who lives in a rosy bubble and is blind to the hardships of life and difficulties of marriage.

No, the past twelve years were not always the easiest or the happiest. Marriage added a new dimension to my life that involved more sharing, more self-sacrifice, and more effort  on my part. We moved five times, we gained five kids, we went through unemployment and low financial times, and heartbreak within our family and church community. But through my husband and our marriage, I have found a strength that comes from having a constant friend to lean on. Through our trials, I have learned to be more trusting, in God and in my husband. Through our work together, I have become more aware of the person God created me to be. And through my failures, I have been touched by mercy. I have grown in my understanding of God's love and grace in ways that I never would have had I been single. 

To my dear husband, it has been a privilege.

Now let me briefly tell you how much I like the word 'privilege'. On my list of favorite words, it is near the top with 'enthusiasm'. Privilege comes from the Latin word privilegium, which is composed of two words meaning 'private' and 'law'. It was used when an individual received special legal rights. Of course, I'm not using the term to mean that I have special legal rights as my husband's wife, but my position has allowed me certain exclusive freedoms. I am in a unique and honored position.

And not to get off topic (but I will just a little), here is some food for thought:

Marriage is a privilege.
Words are a privilege.
Friendship is a privilege.
Confession (to God) is a privilege.
Worship (to God) is a privilege.

Okay, back to my dear husband.

It has been a privilege to serve beside you. It has been a privilege to see you grow as a man of God. It has been a privilege to follow your lead. It has been a privilege to build a home and family with you. It has been a privilege to love you. It has been a privilege to be loved by you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment