Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Witnessing a Miracle


Here he is! Our little boy was born yesterday morning in our bedroom! It was my first experience doing a home birth (I had always wanted to do one, but it didn't work out until now) and it was all truly amazing. Being in my home, surrounded by my children, my husband, my mom, and my in-laws for most of the laboring process, I felt so much peace, joy, and love. This was my easiest birth ever (still painful, of course) and I know that being at home had much to do with it.

But here is something I find to be even more amazing: this person I am now holding in my arms. Though I've had nearly nine months to ponder his growth and formation inside me, I still stand in awe of the fact that a complicated, beautiful, living being came out of my womb. If I had given birth to a clock, or an iPhone, we would all shake our heads and wonder how that came to be. (and I would be the newest Internet sensation, no doubt!) But no, I have given birth to something even more complex and incredible than a clock or iPhone, and moreover, he is alive, with a soul and a personality and a will. He is a miracle, like my five other miracles, like the million other miracles being born today.

I'm going to get some rest now. If you don't hear from me for a while, it's because I'm still adjusting to having a newborn again. And it takes me longer to type with one hand…

No comments:

Post a Comment