Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Boxes of Hope



(photo courtesy of Samaritan's Purse)
When I received the shoe box, I was reminded of God's love for me and the hope that I had in Him. I hope and I pray that will be the case for these kids, that whatever they're going through in their lives, they can be reminded that someone out there loves them. But the most important thing of all is that Jesus Christ loves them and cares about them. ~ Alex Nsengimana

After surviving the 1994 genocide in Rwanda, Alex lived at an orphanage, which was where he received his Christmas shoebox. And as simple as a shoebox filled with toys may seem to us, to children like Alex it is a symbol of hope and love. Alex went on the graduate from Bible college in Minnesota and return to his orphanage in Rwanda to help hand out shoeboxes and share with the children the hope and love he knew– and it all started with one shoebox.

I love hearing stories like Alex's. I love seeing photos of the children receiving their boxes, and I always scan the pictures for a recognizable box. Even if I don't find one (and I never do), I picture in my mind my box in the hands of one of the beautiful children of Rwanda, or the Philippines, or Mongolia. Then I pray specifically for that child, that my gift will go beyond the toys and pencils and toothpaste.

And now, it's time again to prepare boxes for Operation Christmas Child! I have been filling shoeboxes for this ministry since I was a teenager, and every year now, I take my children to the store and allow them to pick out items for a child. We search through the toys, the school supplies, and the hygiene items for the perfect gifts. Some of my children chose to use their own money this year to purchase the items, which makes me so proud! All together, we have six shoeboxes packed and ready to go!


If you are not familiar with Operation Christmas Child, it is a ministry of Samaritan's Purse. Guidelines, instructions, and videos are all available at this link: 

Operation Christmas Child


The deadline is November 24th, so hurry! Give a child a present he or she will never forget!

No comments:

Post a Comment