Friday, March 11, 2011

Giving to Caesar, Giving to God

It's tax time. My shoulders tense up just thinking about how much of my hard-earned money I may have to give up. I don't bring in very much from my lessons and my writing, so what's a few hundred dollars to the government? Nothing. But, like in those commercials, a clear conscience is priceless. I will have nothing to hide if the IRS chooses to question my forms. 

hear that Christians still debate over taxes. Some feel that they are unjust or too high. I know that Jesus taught, "Give back to Caesar what is Caesar's." (Matthew 22:21) I don't have to like it, but that's what I'll do. And that verse is two-fold, "Give to God what is God's." Both is an exercise in discipline; obey the one on the small scale, and you'll be able to obey the other.  All my life, I have practiced tithing: one-tenth of my income is set aside for God's work. Yes, sometimes it's hard. When I calculate our monthly needs and see that an extra hundred dollars would help, I am tempted to take it out of our tithe money. But I have never done it, even when my husband was unemployed, and God has always taken care of us.

The world gives us much advice on finances: buy a house, don't buy a house, build up your credit, invest in your retirement... we obey Him first by tithing, then wisely look at what we have left. Usually, it means there is no money left for our retirement fund or a trip to Disneyland. We've never owned a house, or a brand new car. But we live debt-free, and comfortably, with two cars, health insurance, and plenty of food in our pantry. We know that we are among the wealthiest and healthiest in the world.

Luke 12:22-34 has been taped to my bathroom mirror for the past few weeks. My favorite part is "Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom." I'm glad that no matter what happens, joy, contentment, peace, and treasure in Heaven will always be tax-free!

1 comment:

  1. Inspiring! Yes, God does always meet our needs. I remember struggling as a college student (I was financially independent) and not even sure of where I was going to stay during breaks. I still tithed and God always met my needs.

    ReplyDelete