Saturday, March 5, 2011

Real Fruit



I finished my painting for Easter, and I must say that I'm pleased with the result (being only an amateur painter). The focus of this project was to pick one of Jesus's many names and associate it with Easter. I chose the True Vine. I've always loved the imagery of new life emerging from the cross, and adding the vine was an easy step from there. I've also often thought of wine (when taking Communion) as a symbol of joy, and it was no accident that Jesus said, "This is my blood, drink this in remembrance of me." His blood was spilled for us, so that we may have joy. And lastly, I love how a grape vine stretches and reaches. That is us, grasping for more, reaching out to others, and producing fruit.

This painting, along with others, will be hung in the Valley Bible church sanctuary in April.

4 comments:

  1. I use to sketch with oil pastels and my art was well-received. You're inspiring me. But I also want to take up guitar ^_^...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oil pastels is such a difficult but exciting medium! I hope you try it again, Regina! If you need some, I'm sure we have oil pastels lying around somewhere. If you want to know about our next Visual Artists meeting, I'll fill you in. You can get encouragement and inspiration from the other artists! I hope to see some art from you! (And guitar is fun too!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rita! The colors are BEAUTIFUL! I just captured a photo of the sunset out here that had this very same effect.

    The fruit of the vine is an incredible accent, when I saw it, I thought of John 15 and He being the vine and us being the branches, fruit coming from Him through us. Powerful!

    I see the subtle blood stained wood and that He rose from that yet His blood is our forgiveness to those who believe.

    Praise Him for such a piece and I pray it draws many hearts to remember how AWESOME He is this easter.

    Pastels are hard (I remember) so your talent and gift from the Lord is evident.

    Much love,
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Christina! And just to clarify, I used acrylic. I wouldn't know how to get that background with pastels! All I did was build up the colors, starting with the paint thinned with water. I put the colors on in their pure form, and allowed my brush strokes to do the blending. I'm so glad it came out so well!!

    ReplyDelete