Monday, June 25, 2012

God is Goodness

A young lady, seven-and-a-half months pregnant, was on her way to a baby shower when another car ran a red light and crashed into hers. She was rushed to the hospital, where doctors did an emergency C-section to try to save the baby. They were too late.

A couple found out in an ultrasound that their little girl was developing without kidneys. They chose to love her as she was and cherish her for the few hours they had with her. Surrounded by friends and family, the couple welcomed Olivia into the world, and bid farewell to her on the same day.

A mom heard her five-year-old complaining about not feeling well. The next day, they were at the hospital. The five-year-old never went home.

All true stories, and there are a million more out there. My heart cries when I hear stories like these. I hold my own children, and wonder what I would do if I was that young lady, or that couple, or that mom. Would I be angry at God? Would I reject him? Would I run and hide?

Other people ask questions like, "Why do these things happen?" and I say "I don't know." They ask, "How can God be good if He allows things like this to happen?" and I say, "I can't really explain that either."

But I know that God is goodness. He is all things good. And to push Him away in the midst of hurt and suffering is to push away the very goodness we need to heal.

No comments:

Post a Comment