Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Louder than the Trees

It has been quite a week, with no vacation from the vacation. The house looks like a disaster after unpacking from family camp and moving furniture for band practice. We spent Monday at the orthodontist (the bill was 'yikes!') and dealing with the police and the recovery of our housemates' stolen car. And today was a trip to Filoli with my sister as her belated birthday present. There is no end to it all.

But, while at Filoli, I did have a moment to sit on a park bench and scribble down these thoughts. As the olive trees whispered around me, and the birds twittered in anticipation of the day, I remembered something.

Last Thursday, we had arrived at family camp, and I was so caught up in keeping-the-baby-from-eating-dirt and getting-the-two-year-old-to-cooperate (besides feeding, dressing, and resting everyone else) that it wasn't until Sunday that I realized I had forgotten to worship. I was surrounded by God's majesty, but I didn't see it. Only when I heard these words sung, All that I want to do is sing to You, louder than the trees..., did I realize my wrong.

The words are from one of my favorite worship songs, written by talented local musician Justin Dillon Stevens. The bridge of the song says, And all the earth sings and am I the least of these. And I did feel like the 'least of these'. The mountains reached to catch the clouds racing overhead. The pine trees towered above me like skyscrapers. The winds, though gentle, were still strong enough to cause the trees to sway. I was but a speck in the vast forest. But nevertheless, I closed my eyes, lifted my head, and sang at the top of my lungs, to be louder than the trees. And I remembered, that even in the midst of busyness, or especially in the midst of busyness, I need to stop and worship the One who is greater than all things.

No comments:

Post a Comment