Friday, June 1, 2012

Thinking More About What I Eat

I almost picked up a bag of those strange, crunchy, snap pea things at Costco yesterday. Then I thought, "Are we just replacing unhealthy processed foods with healthier-looking processed foods?"

We like convenience. And if the packaging claims 'organic', 'less fat', or 'minimally processed', we feel better about putting that food into our bodies. But can't I just give my kids an actual snap pea to eat, or carrot sticks, or an apple?

My goal this summer is to expand my cooking repertoire and make a habit of making more strawberry-spinach smoothies and kale chips and reaching less for a bag of packaged crackers or granola bars. My family will venture into more vegetarian and vegan cooking (after watching only the last twenty minutes of the whole-foods, plant-based diet documentary "Fork Over Knives", my meat-loving husband actually said, "Maybe we should give it a try.") I'm not making drastic changes in our diet (to be on the safe side, for my children's sake), but I am thinking more about how God designed our bodies, and I am willing to explore how our diet plays into that.

There will be more to come! I'm excited about sharing recipes and writing about what I learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment