Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Superheroes We Are Not

My husband made superhero T-shirts for our family last Christmas. We each have a superhero-alter-ego (mine is MegaMama), and now we can proudly pose with our emblems on our chests.

But... we're not super. My husband and I have our bad days, when we are snappy and impatient with each other. We are not always on the same page. We are not always in the mood to serve each other.

My kids are not extraordinarily well-behaved or good-looking. They are not wunderkinds on their way to Carnegie Hall or American Idol.

In fact, my kids whine when I say "School time!", and the day after a holiday is like herding cats (which I've heard is extremely difficult.) But put in a video, and they are sitting on the couch in ten seconds flat.

They'll eat their veggies, but not without first making a face, and I have a daughter who holds the world record for 'longest time it took to eat one bite of spinach'.

They often leave their beds unmade (and I often forget to remind them). They leave toys and clothes on the floor. They forget to flush the toilet.

They sometimes wear mismatching socks and mismatching clothes. We go to church with their hair still sticking up and food still on their face.

And they fight, at least once a day, over the most petty of issues. They compete over who can finish their math work first, who can hold their breath longer, who has the most Legos.

My family is normal. We have our daily struggles, just like everyone else.

I just thought you should know.

No comments:

Post a Comment