Saturday, November 16, 2013

Thankful

Autumn is when my mind dwells on thankfulness, not because the United States formally celebrates Thanksgiving in November, but because the beauty of autumn stirs my soul. The bold reds and yellows mixed with the fading green, the variety of flavors from autumn fruits and vegetables, the relief from the summer heat, the simple beauty of migrating birds... they all remind me to thank the Maker. I walk down our street or glance out the window and I am filled with awe.

I was going to wait until Thanksgiving to post this, but there really is no need, when everyday is, in fact, a day of thanksgiving. It is my newest song, and I apologize again that you cannot hear the melody, but I haven't found a way to put audio on my blog, and I'm not ready to record myself on youtube.


The trees on fire with the season's change
A chill is in the air
We grab coats and scarves to wear
The morning fog smells of autumn rain
The darkness lingers longer
As winter's voice grows stronger
And I am thankful for house and home
The love and laughter warms my heart and soul
The children play as they learn and grow
I am thankful
Oh so thankful

The limbs hang low with their treasure trove
We celebrate the harvest
What the Lord bestowed upon us
The miracles that the earth can hold
That from a tiny seed
Springs forth a mighty tree
And I am thankful for food that grows
How a meal can nourish body and soul
Shared with friends as they come and go
I am thankful
Oh so thankful

For the sunshine as well as the storms
For the cold days as well as the warm
There are countless gifts that I don't deserve
I've done nothing of worth

His arms around me when I'm worn and frayed
We sink into our bed
Rest and peace upon our heads
And wake to greet another dawning day
With strength to rise again
And joy to be content
And I am thankful for life renewed
For daily mercies profound and true
A love that fills me through and through
'Til I'm changing too
I am changing too
And thankful

No comments:

Post a Comment