Monday, May 12, 2014

Last Weeks of School

Oh, the drudgery.

Everyone hits a time of drudgery at some point. Mine usually comes between Christmas and Easter, when the weather is the coldest and rainiest, and homeschooling becomes a day in/day out routine.

Without even knowing it at first, I start to slowly change into a robot. Make breakfast. Clean up breakfast. Do school. Make lunch. And on and on and on. As long as there is relative peace in the house, I don't have to think much about anything. 

But then I start getting testy. And more impatient. And discontent. I'll spare you the details, though I'm sure you're familiar with the feeling yourself. And this year, for some reason, the drudgery I felt didn't go away. 

How ironic then that the words I needed to hear came from our science text book. Well, not exactly from the text book, because the words are really from the Bible, but the Bible verse was a part of our last lesson in our anatomy and physiology book.

Whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks of God the Father through Him. ~Colossians 3:17

For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them. ~Ephesians 2:10

What beautiful words to share with my children as they are learning to serve God, and what a wonderful reminder for myself as I am teaching them! There are times when I like to feel 'freed up' to do ministry, but I have to remember that my children are also my ministry. Not that I should idolize them and give them ALL my attention, but that I remember that even the most seemingly insignificant service has meaning in God's eyes. A meal served is love on a plate, a moment of discipline is to polish and refine, and every word that leaves my mouth can be a word straight from God's heart, if I am mindful of Him.

We have only a few weeks of school left. This will be my oldest's last weeks before entering "junior high". And it will be our last summer together before the arrival of the newest Baird member. With these realizations, I'm going to make the most of every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment