Monday, May 5, 2014

The Immeasurableness of God

Do you ever wonder why God would create such a gigantic universe, then put such tiny people in it? Why did He make stars that are hundred of millions of miles in radius, then place them hundred of millions miles away from us, just so we could see a tiny dot of light in the night sky? Seems like a waste.

But as I stood at the base of Yosemite Falls yesterday, looking up at the hundreds of millions of water droplets sky-diving in slow motion, 'wasteful' wasn't the word that came to my mind. Neither was 'insignificant'. I was in the presence of something greater than myself, and it filled me with a sense of awe for the Creator and the beauty of His creation. Maybe that's why He created waterfalls, mountains, oceans, forests, deserts, and a universe of immense proportions-- for our enjoyment, and for us never to forget to be in awe. 

Though mankind's dream is to someday "know" all the mysteries of the universe, I hope we never discover all that the ocean is hiding. That way, I can always gaze upon the endless waves and gain from them an understanding of the depth of God's love and mercy. And though we try to harness the power of falling water, and try to capture it's wonder in images and words, there will never be anything like standing in a waterfall's cloud of mist and listening to the deafening roar of water hitting rock, and thinking about God's strength, power, and beauty. And I know that we will never chart all the stars and planets in the universe, and that is fine with me, because I also know that I will never be able to fully comprehend the sheer size and magnitude of God. I will always and forever be in awe of the God who created this amazing world, the One who is holding it all together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment