Saturday, September 8, 2018

Make It Yourself!

My husband and I are big on DIY (Do It Yourself) projects, from cutting hair to fixing the dryer (twice!). Under the umbrella of DIY projects I love are the everyday items around the house that I can make rather than purchase from the store. 

As you know from my recent post on craft ideas, I have two rules when it comes to projects: 1) they cannot take too much of my time or attention 2) I try to reuse as much as I can. Then, not only am I saving money and time with less trips to the store, I am creating less garbage overall. It's a win-win!

So, just for fun, here is a short list of MIY (Make It Yourself) things that you can make too!

Hand/neck warmer
My family has tons of socks with no matches. I started taking the bigger ones to make neck warmers for all the kids. Just fill the sock about 1/2 - 2/3 full of rice and tie a good knot. (Do be sure to check the socks for worn spots and small holes first.) The rice is warm and soothing after about a minute in the microwave. Sometimes my kids like to put them under their shirts to warm their tummies. Then the kids asked for small ones to warm their hands! I have so many fun and colorful small socks (with no matches) that it was easy to say 'yes'! The small ones warm up in 30 seconds, and are great for hugging, putting in a coat pocket, or tossing around like a beanbag (and just looking cute!)



Glass Cleaner
This was one of my best discoveries! No more buying expensive chemicals to clean my mirrors! And I wrote the recipe right on the spray bottle so I can quickly make more whenever I run out!

Glass cleaner- 2 cups water
                            1 tablespoon cornstarch
                            1/3 cup white vinegar
                            1/4 cup rubbing alcohol
                            Shake well before using

All-purpose cleaner
This one's as easy as it comes. Make a solution of half white vinegar and half water in an old spray bottle and you're ready to go. Recently I've learned how to make a citrus-rosemary infused cleaner! In a jar, combine clean (meaning no fruit left) peels from grapefruit, lemons, or oranges and several rosemary sprigs. Pour in enough white vinegar to cover the peels and rosemary. Then cap the jar and put it in a cool place (like the refrigerator) for one to two weeks. The longer you wait, the stronger the scent. Once it's ready, strain out the peels and rosemary. Measure how much vinegar you have and add that same amount of water to make your solution.

Hair freshener
There are a thousand hair products out there, all claiming that they will make my curly hair shiny, soft, and frizz-free. But I like things simple, and the best product I've tried so far is one I made myself! Make a solution of approximately one-part conditioner (I use my leave-in conditioner) and four-parts water (for example: 1/4 cup conditioner and 1 cup water). Shake it up in a spray bottle and spray onto your hair (or hands) to refresh curls without jumping into the shower again!

Fajita mix and curry powder
I have a lot of spices, and I've discovered that I can premix my own spice blends to have them conveniently on hand whenever I need them! 

Fajita mix- 2 tablespoons salt
                      2 tablespoon paprika
                      1 tablespoon onion powder
                      2 teaspoons garlic powder
                      2 tablespoons cumin
                      1/4 cup chili powder (for those who like more spice!)

Curry powder- 4 tablespoons cumin
                             3 1/2 tablespoons coriander
                             1 tablespoon ground ginger
                             2 tablespoons turmeric
                             1/4 tablespoon cayenne


And as always, if you have any project ideas to share, please do!

1 comment: