Saturday, September 29, 2018

How to Survive Having 8 Kids (or Fewer) - Part 2 1/2 of 7

I realized the other day that there may be people who read the title of my recent posts and are disappointed. They expect a practical list of ten things to do, only to get something more wordy and philosophical.

But I have my reasons for doing that.

I understand that every family is in a slightly different situation, and just because I like to cook from scratch and homeschool doesn't mean everyone can do that too. So a quick checklist isn't always the most helpful.

Also, I like to get to the heart of things. Fixing surface level problems might help in the short run, but when there are deeper issues, problems will only arise again and again. A home may be perfectly in order, but the family may be in shambles.

Well, that said, I decided to go ahead and make a list anyway. I will continue with my more in-depth parenting survival tips in my next post!


Ten Quick Tips to Surviving Parenthood

1) Make TV, video games, and computer time a treat, not the norm.

2) Send your kids outside to play.

3) Limit sugar and junk food.

4) Clean as you work (especially in the kitchen).

5) Do laundry as soon as you have a load. (We do laundry at least once a day. It's part of our routine to fold and put away clothes every day.)

6) Plan your meals for the week.

7) Expect the unexpected. (I keep extra diapers, wipes, and bottles of water in the car. I pack a small snack or treat for the younger kids when we go out, just in case blood sugar gets low. My little box of TicTacs have saved the day many times!)

8) Model behavior you expect from your children.

9) Treat your children as individuals.

10) Don't say "yes" to everything your children ask for. Don't say "no" when you really mean "I don't feel like it."

No comments:

Post a Comment