Tuesday, November 13, 2018

How to Survive Having 8 Kids (or Fewer) - Part 6 of 7

My second son loves experimenting with fire, climbing anything vertical, and collecting bugs. 

One day, he came in with his new "pet" snail and placed it in a jar on the counter. A few days later, I noticed that my basil plant was looking a little… hmm… gnawed on? The snail had chewed through the paper cover of its jar and found something better to eat! So the "pet" went bye-bye. But my plant did not get better. I couldn't figure out why there were still holes, new holes in fact!, in my basil plant until I discovered tons of baby snails living on the underside of the basil leaves! Snails AND plant went bye-bye. I told my son, no more snails in the house.

One day not long after this incident, I was cleaning up knick knacks on the counter when I found a small covered container. I lifted the lid and almost jumped out of my skin because the container was full of scurrying, climbing beetles. I told my son, no more beetles in the house.

Then, guess what? Another container appears. I lifted the lid carefully. Nothing moved inside. It was full of dead bees. I told my son, no more dead bees in the house.

One night, I was picking up after everyone went to bed. On the faux leather seat was a container. With the lid off. And a few maggots inside. And the other maggots were escaping and climbing on the chair seat. It was pretty gross.

I wanted to get angry. I wanted to yell and shout about these bugs I keep finding in my house. But I took a moment, and when I exhaled, laughter came out instead. My son, who may be a future entomologist, was indulging in his passion, without disobeying me. We have to learn a few lessons along the way (don't forget to put a lid on the maggots!) but I love seeing his unique, wonderful, God-given personality develop.

Tip #6: Cherish your children (and laugh!)

Children are hard work. We all know that. And some children are more work than others. My bug-collecting son is the most stubborn and least empathetic of my children. He almost always sheds a few angry tears during school (and has caused me to shed a few too). He's quick to argue back rather than obey. Along with lessons about bug collecting, we've also had lessons on fire safety and doing stunts from high places.

But I remind myself that my son is a gift from God. He is no less a gift than my easy-going, cheerful daughter. And it is no accident that they are both in my family. And the more I keep this thought in the forefront of my mind, the easier it is for me the tackle the parenting challenges that arise, and laugh in spite of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment