Saturday, December 15, 2012

Sharing Our Joy

It's hard to imagine that only two days ago I was writing about joy.

For the parents who lost their children in the shooting yesterday, joy will be a difficult word to hear. Christmas will be a heart-breaking day. And God will feel so distant.

In no way am I the one to write about 'why bad things happen to good people' or 'how could God let this happen?!' All I know is that as broken people living in a broken world, God is the only source of healing.

Christmas for many is a depressing time. Sad memories from the dim Christmas past grow more focused. Recent pains sting all the more. My little children's choir sang at two assisted living homes on Thursday and Friday, and I loved seeing how our ragtag bunch was able to bring smiles to the seniors' faces for a short thirty-minutes. But then I wonder how many of these seniors will be sitting alone in their wheelchair in front of the television on Christmas day.

I encourage you to rethink your Christmas this year. Traditions and family time are still good, but think about whom you can also include in your festivities: a widowed neighbor, a resident of your local senior home, a family who is going through a hard time. Bring some joy to those people's Christmases, and make new Christmas memories together.

No comments:

Post a Comment