Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Yet in Thy Dark Streets Shineth

We tried to go Christmas caroling this evening. I say 'tried' because of the ten houses we could have caroled at, we were successful at only two of them. Of the other eight, three had no lights on, one had a fence that was impassable, another's owner didn't open the door (we saw him taking out his garbage later), and the last three had lights on, but no one answered the door.

The kids and I thought it would be so simple. But it seems that many people are too busy to be home. Or they isolate themselves. And I even hesitated to pass out sugar cookies, thinking that a neighbor might be gluten-free, or diabetic, or dieting, or maybe, dare I say it?-- suspicious. 

But nevertheless, we caroled. We sang outside closed doors and dark windows. We handed out cookies to those we saw. And we understood a little how Jesus felt, coming into a dark world that was ready to reject him, rather than receive him. But nevertheless, He came and offered His gift to everyone, regardless of their openness.


Yet in thy dark streets shineth the everlasting Light;
The hopes and fears of all the years are met in thee tonight.

~from the carol 'O Little Town of Bethlehem', by Phillips Brooks


(I asked my girls afterwards if they were disappointed, and they said, "No, it was fun." Oh, how I love my kids!)

1 comment:

  1. Nice post; your analogy with the closed doors and Jesus coming into the world was right on.

    ReplyDelete