Monday, December 3, 2012

The Seis-Tres Club, Day 15

It is the last day of our club's trial period. All three of its members had had to deal with sickness in the past two weeks, but all three are all still eager to continue the club.

When I asked Elizabeth what she thought about our club, she said, "I am so thankful for the jump start to spend time with The Lord in a relatively quiet house. My whole day flows so much better when I get up early and put Him first." 

She sums it up so well. I myself have learned much in two weeks.

I have learned that I should not be goal-oriented in my spiritual life. All too easily, my perfectionism turns into legalism. Which means faith loses its meaning.

I have learned that reading the Bible consistently means the words stick. They are in the forefront of my thoughts all day long.

I have learned that I like watching the sun rise.

I have learned that hard things are easier to do with a friend. I don't need to be a Lone Ranger; it is encouraging and healthy to have Christian sisters by my side.

I have learned that I'm in a much better mood in the morning if I wake up before the children, than if I get out of bed only after a child has said, "I'm hungry!" for the third time.

I have learned that being intentional with God in the morning means I am more intentional with my day. My actions and motives are more Christ-centered, and I am more in tune to the voice of the Spirit.

And a surprise bonus-- I no longer hop on the computer first thing in the morning as a way to ease into the day. Because of all of the above, by the time I'm finish with my conversation with God, I'm ready to make breakfast, I'm cheerful when I greet my children "Good morning!", and I'm excited about what lies ahead.

The point is, discipline is good, but like sleep, the good can become bad if I give it too much worth. I need to be seeking God, not a regimen. And give myself flexibility, because, after all, I am not a robot, and neither are my children. But I want to be consistent enough to make this a habit. I want to get to the place where if I miss a morning with God, I get that same unsettling feeling of having gone to bed without brushing my teeth. Because when I wake up to God, He is the foundation of my day, my Rock. Then harsh winds may blow, but I will not be shaken. The floodwaters may rise, but I will walk upon them. The earth may quake, and all around me crumble, but I will still be standing, with my hands raised in praise.

No comments:

Post a Comment