Saturday, August 16, 2014

A Piece of Peace

On a recommendation from my sister, we visited the Hayward Japanese Garden on Friday. Nobody driving by that small residential street would have guessed that a beautiful haven was hidden there. The sculpted trees, the sound of a waterfall, the paths branching off to little gazebos and alcoves… I had to constantly remind the children not to run or shout because it felt intrusive to do so. We sat for a long time watching the jeweled koi fish and the lazy turtles. The children were quiet as they sketched the animals. I found myself wanting to drift off to sleep, right there on the bench; it was all so soothing. Or maybe I could come back and do some writing, I thought, or better yet, build myself a similar garden someday. I felt safe there, I felt at peace… I didn't want to leave.

I imagined the ancient Japanese culture that first started creating zen and tea gardens. I imagined they felt the same as me, needing a place of sanctuary in the midst of feudal chaos, constant warring, and certain uncertainty. If they could find peace in their garden, they can face the hardships of life.

But is that true? The peace I felt in that garden was, really, only a piece of peace. The trees and waterfall could never keep out the dangers of the world. Even as I looked around, I saw signs saying "Surveillance cameras on site because of vandalism". What I really needed was  to be able to take the peace of the garden with me, for it to be inside me…

I am so thankful for God in my life. I am so glad that though I sometimes feel like the disciples in the boat, fearful of being washed away by the storm, Jesus is there with me, able to calm the storm with a simple command. He gives me peace, and not just a piece of peace, but peace that is whole, the peace of God which surpasses all understanding (Philippians 4:7). 

No comments:

Post a Comment