Thursday, August 21, 2014

Tea and Sympathy

I had tea with my mother-in-law last week. After speaking at the Valentine's Day tea at our church earlier this year, we were presented with gift certificates to a beautiful local establishment. And it only took us six months to use them!

What a wonderful time we had. I am not a froufrou-tea-party kind of girl, but I do like trying unique delicacies and new kinds of tea (pear tea-- yum!), and of course, there's the desserts. I hardly ever say no to desserts!

But the best part was sitting, being served, and reconnecting with my mother-in-law. I have been going non-stop since school ended, and the break from work was like an oasis. 

I am so often encouraged by words of wisdom from older women. Just like me, my mother-in-law is learning about living the life God has intended for her. The difference is, she is now a grandmother and empty-nester, but even so, it is often difficult for her to know how to adjust to the changes in her life. She shared with me what she has learned recently about loving her grandchildren while respecting parents' boundaries and wishes. I am SO thankful that we share the same goal of raising grateful, kind, respectful, loving children!

Then it was my turn to share. We talked a little about recipes and cooking, and I lamented that I want my children to like salad more.

"Maybe I should have made more salad when they were younger," I said.
"I don't think that would have made a difference," my mother-in-law said.
"But if that's all their palates are used to, they wouldn't be so picky about it now."
"But," replied my mother-in-law, "you feed your kids eggs all the time, and now you have one who doesn't like eggs!"

At that moment, our server came with a new pot of tea. But my thoughts lingered on what my mother-in-law had said. How true and how encouraging! There is only so much I can do, and in the end, my children are still individuals with unique tastes and personalities. There are times when they have to make their own choices, and there is no way I can dictate everything they do. It doesn't do me good to beat myself up over little things and bury myself in discouragement and doubt.

We soon finished our goodies and tea, and left the tea house with full stomachs. But I left with so much more than that: a new perspective, words of encouragement, and a full heart. I feel ready to take on the school year, a new baby, and whatever adventures God will bring my way!

No comments:

Post a Comment