Monday, August 25, 2014

Learning to Juggle


Let me share with you an excerpt from a wonderful book called Tales of the Kingdom, by David and Karen Mains.

The Apprentice Juggler was sure he would shame the troupe in tonight's performance. He knew he would drop a baton during the pyramid cascade… 

No one knew he was battling his inner count. No one knew that a different rhythm was ticking in his heart than in his hands…

What if he failed before the King? It would serve him right for keeping this hidden thing to himself. All he had ever dreamed of was seeing the King smile in pleasure at his juggling. He had even imagined the King walking over to him and saying, "Well done, young man. You have a special gift."

We have friends staying with us right now. My husband was teaching some of their older children how to juggle, then chose this very appropriate chapter to read to all the children. I listened from the kitchen as I worked on dishes and dinner, straining my ears to catch every little detail, because I knew that this story was worth hearing again.

I've mentioned before how much I love stories, especially ones that gently teach us or remind us of Truth. While I never could get the hang of actual juggling, this story about the Apprentice Juggler was a good reminder for me yesterday. After overhearing a mother talk about homeschooling and all that her daughter was involved in, I started feeling very small. Latin, sports, literature… my children didn't do those things. Her daughter was on track to excel in college, and mine… I'm not sure exactly what path they are on. My homeschooling is a little less academic and structured. It doesn't involve as many classrooms and tests. I can't help but wonder if I'm doing enough, if my daily 'juggling' act is as good as this other mom's. 

You could tell me, "Well, you have five children to school, and she has one," or "You are working with a tight budget in an affluent area," but those aren't the real issues. The more I thought about it, the more I realized this: like the Apprentice Juggler in the story, my inner count is different.

My husband and I are musicians, artists, and writers. Art and music is at the heart of our home, because it is what we do the most, and what we do best. We won't be like the homeschooling family where both parents went to law school. My mind doesn't handle classical education as well as some. And I have to remember that there is nothing wrong with that. God gave me my gifts for a purpose, and it would actually be dishonoring to him if I ignored my gifts in my attempts to be like someone else.

So, how does the story of the Apprentice Juggler end? I could leave you hanging, but I won't. Here is the best part of the story, the part that resonated with my heart.

The beggar [King] motioned for [the Apprentice Juggler] to step closer and whispered, "I saw you juggling just now. Keep your own count. Listen to the rhythm of your own timing..."

The young man's heart was in his throat. What if a ball dropped? What if he tripped? What if he couldn't control his count? Then he remembered the Beggar King and his words, "Listen to the rhythm of your own timing."

He listened. A new count was rising in him, his own count. Joy came tumbling. It filled his hands, his heart. The count was different from anything he had ever heard…

He juggled and somersaulted and dived and counted. Finally, he was done. The crowd laughed. They clapped. They yelled hurrah and stamped their feet and hands.

The Apprentice Juggler bowed. He stood straight and bowed again. This time when he looked up, he was looking directly into the eyes of the King.

The King was smiling his approval.

There is so much more to this beautiful tale. I hope you find a copy of the book and read it in its entirety for yourself. And may these words ring joyfully in your heart today: 

Listen to the rhythm of your own timing... For all who live by the rhythm of the inner timing, which the King approves, find a place in the Kingdom all their own. More than any, they live happily ever after.

No comments:

Post a Comment