Monday, November 12, 2012

Parenting 101

Today, we went to spend our day off from school at my in-laws' house, partly to play, and partly to celebrate my birthday. My children love going there, because Papa and Granny are always very involved with them. All was going well, until naptime rolled around, and today, my three-year-old DID NOT want to nap.

Usually, we would read a story and he would lie down quietly, if not sleep. But today, it was thirty minutes of crying and screaming. When I told him that we would go home if he did not calm down, he only screamed louder, "I WANT TO GO HOME!" And so we got into the car.

Then, after fifteen minutes of reasoning with him because he was yelling, "I WANT TO GO BACK!", I turned the van around to give him one last chance.

But he blew it. And now we're home. And after another twenty minutes of screaming, he's finally asleep.

While I was driving home in the surprisingly-quiet car, tears of frustration welled in my eyes, and I had to ask myself, "But what am I giving up, really?" 

After all, it was only a seven minute drive. And I would return later for my birthday dinner.
I would miss some adult conversation, but I see my in-laws often enough that this wasn't really a big deal.
I liked having others to help with the children, but I left the older ones with Papa and Granny, so I only have two.

Then I realized what it was. My frustration stemmed from the fact that I was forced to give up what I wanted. While trying to convince my son to nap at his grandparents' house for his own sake, I had my own reasons for not wanting to leave. And I didn't get my way.

Between my three-year-old and me, I'm glad to say that he's the only one who acts like a child. But deep down, I think we're not much different. Still, more often than not, I can also say that I am learning to give up my self, in light of what is better for another person. And that is the best lesson a parent can learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment