Tuesday, November 27, 2012

The Seis-Tres Club, Day 9

The baby slept in today! 

But my three-year-old did not. He was up at 6am. Then he proceeded to announce to the world (he is arguably the loudest member of our family) that he needed to go to the bathroom.

I got up to help him (and the baby slept on!) then coerced him to sit with me in the living room, by the light of our Christmas tree.

It was a special moment.

I asked if he wanted a story. He said, "Yes" and started to get up to look for a book.
I stopped him. "No, a story from the Bible," I said.
"What story?" he asked with wonder in his eyes.

I turned to the third chapter of Luke and began to partly read/partly tell the passage about the shepherds meeting the angels. My little boy's eyes grew larger and larger as I told him the amazing tale of shiny, scary beings with a message, a treasure hunt through various stables for a baby, and the discovery of this special, special child named Jesus.

When I was done, my son's face was full of awe and freshness. Oh, to be a child again!

My son soon grew tired of sitting, and he joined his sister on the floor (the older children were creeping out one by one, after being woken up by the loud bathroom announcement). The two played with the nativity set by the foot of the Christmas tree, while I turned back to Galatians 4:16-26, which begins with 'Walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh.' Also in this passage is the fruit of the Spirit: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. How perfect that my children are memorizing this verse this week! And what a perfect reminder that if I simply walk by the Spirit, all these things that I long to have, that I strive so hard to grasp, will come naturally!

No comments:

Post a Comment