Monday, November 19, 2012

The Seis-Tres Club, Day 1

Tea bag in mug. Check.
Water in kettle. Check.
Bookmarks in Galatians and Colossians. Check.
Bible and blanket on couch. Check.

Last night, I wanted everything to be ready for when I had to stumble out of bed. Good thing I finally figured out how to program the heat to turn on before 6:30, otherwise it would have been even more difficult this morning. Slipping on my slippers (is that redundant?), I tiptoed to the kitchen, made my tea, texted my friends, "I'm up! and smiling!" and settled down for some wisdom from Paul's letters.

See, this isn't so hard? I thought.

But that's easy to say on Day 1. Wait until Saturday morning rolls around.

I blinked hard a few times to get my eyes to focus on the words in front of me. Paul's letter to the Galatians was written with force and righteous anger... that woke me up.

But my thoughts kept wandering. After a few verses, I started thinking about my friends who were starting this club with me. I prayed that they would be blessed by their time with the Lord. Then I started thinking about my day. I was going to visit my uncle, who had just had surgery to remove cancer from his body. We were not especially close, but his family is the only extended family I have within 2000 miles. I prayed for him and his family, then tried to get back into the Word. I read a few more verses, but my mind drifted again, this time to my sister-in-law. I prayed for her too, then turned my eyes back to the Bible.

My time with God continued on this way until I finished the first chapter of Galatians. Then I read through the first four verses of Colossians 3. I read them again, then again, trying to get the words to stick in my mind.

"...set your mind on things above, not on earthly things..."

I decided that was a good theme for my day.

As I heard the rustling of children waking, I remembered the sweet words of a song sung by the children in church yesterday. Actually, it's a song I wrote, for the small children's choir I'm directing, but I never thought of it as my song. It came to me in pieces as I thought and prayed about what I had been learning from God, and what I wished the children in the choir to learn. The song is really God's song to me, reminding me Who ultimately fulfills me and gives me joy. I sang the song quietly to myself, before rising from the couch to attend to my children. And though I'm blinking wearily at the computer screen now (and it's only 9pm), I did enjoy the start of my morning and how it filled my whole day with the fragrance of God.


Here are the words to the song mentioned above. May they also remind you to fill your day with praise.

I was made to worship You
Take delight in all I do
I was made to praise Your name
As my Maker and my Savior

You alone can feed my soul
Satisfy and make me whole
You alone can know my heart
As my Maker and my Savior

Hallelujah, hallelujah
We praise You, Lord
Hallelujah, hallelujah
We praise You, Lord

No comments:

Post a Comment