Sunday, November 18, 2012

Giving Up Sleep

"I have the right to do anything," you say-- but not everything is beneficial. "I have the right to do anything"-- but not everything is constructive.  ~ I Corinthians 10:23 (NIV)

And I add this: even the things that are good become bad, if they have a hold on us that is beyond what God intended. Give a thing too much worth, and you end up worshipping it. (The Old English root of 'worship' is 'weorthscipe'-- to affirm worth.) 

These were my thoughts yesterday morning as I made omelets for my husband and myself.  Yes, heavy thoughts for so early in the day, but while I was cooking, I was also remembering that billions of people in the world had barely enough food to eat that day, and that for many of them, the food they do eat is tasteless and hardly nutritious. And here I am, eating meat and eggs, a variety of vegetables, and coffee cake! Boy, am I spoiled! But boy, do I like a good, delicious breakfast! And what if I had to give it up? Could I do it? Though I know God made food to taste delicious, I also know that He doesn't want me living with a focus on food and its taste. If I do, what God had intended for good becomes bad.

Which brings us to the real topic of this post: sleep. I like sleep. I like it a lot. Especially because I feel like I don't get enough of it. But my friend Natalie wanted someone to do the 'A.M. Club' with her, and I volunteered.

The 'A.M. Club' is for moms who can't find the time during the day to sit quietly with God and His Word. The solution? Get up an hour before the children do. What makes it a club is that you call or text a friend to help each other get out of bed and into the Word.

This is a hard one for me. I had friends try the 'A.M. club' last year, but I wouldn't do it with them. But I also never found a routine of 'quiet time' that worked for me. My days are so busy, that sometimes I go from sun up to sun down without having invited God to come alongside me. (Or better said, without having asked God if I could go alongside Him). 

I think it's time for me to try this 'club' (we are doing a trial run of fifteen days), because maybe I'm giving sleep more worth than it deserves. 

Like I said before, the good becomes bad. 

Tomorrow is our first day. I'll let you know how it goes.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, this is a hard one for me, too, Rita! I love sleep so much, and with several jobs and many distractions (nothing like 5 children, but still :-)), it's hard to get quiet time during the day when I start the day late and run late all day. Good luck, and I hope you come to love the early mornings :-)

    ReplyDelete