In the video on my last blog post, I noticed two mistakes.
1) I forgot to tell you the working title of the new musical! For now, I call it "In Miss Potter's Garden."
2) I said that I finished the musical this past summer. Really, what I should have said was that a shareable version of the musical was finished this past summer. I'm feeling good about the script and the songs, but this doesn't mean that the musical is finished! My next step is workshopping, which is when I get a group of actors to read through the script. I also play them the songs and ask them for honest feedback.
Every time I've workshopped a show, I've heard lines that needed tweaking, or scenes that could be smoother, or songs that sounded too short (or too long). The actors always had some very important and helpful feedback to give as they were in the dual roles of both audience and players. After hearing their thoughts, I would go home excited to add to a scene or a song.
So I expect to do more rewriting. Writing is really about rewriting, and rewriting, and rewriting. I know that this musical will go through several versions before it is truly done, so I try my best not to hold on to any part of it too tightly (which is easier said than done!) And just so you can "see" what my writing process looks like, I'm sharing with you the pages of my notebook in a video.
(Background story: I used to write notes on random pieces of paper, and clip them together, which meant that my notes didn't always stay together. Then my friend "KW"– the director of my first musical– gave me a Christmas present of a set of small notebooks. I decided that I would use one whenever I started a new musical. And now all my scribbly notes are in one place!)
No comments:
Post a Comment